2.21.2012

tulle bras for burlesque


I want to show you something I'm super proud of. These are the tulle bras I have been designing, making by hand, wearing and performing burlesque in for the past year. 

They are beautiful. They are supportive. Some of them look like magical frames around your bosom, with invisible elastic cord holding them on and making them pieces of art. They take me WAY too long to make. The sequined pasties are almost always purchased elsewhere (except for the chicken bra, you'll see) and I add a tassel if I want. I spend a lot of time at the fabric store staring at trims and fringes.

I have had so many requests for these bras, from audience members and dancers alike. I wish I knew more about pattern making and whatnot so that I could make them in any size, for any body. I do know how to customize them for my body, so I am hoping to be able to sit down and write a coherent tutorial on how to make a tulle bra in the near future.

In the meantime, feast your eyes!













For my December act I decided I'd had enough, for the time being, of struggling with roll after roll of tulle and went commando for the first time. With the assistance of these extra large sequined pasties (below), I was able to bend, spindle and mutilate myself into them in such a way that they even gave me a little lift. It was really freeing to not be in one of the tulle bras, but those bras were lifesavers for me for so many performances, and I am glad I didn't discover the oversized pastie trick until after I had created my beautiful tulle bras.


Here is my inspiration from the most fantastic book on American burlesque dancers and costuming from the days of yore, "Pretty Things", by Liz Goldwyn. The tulle bra pictured here has more of a diamond frame shape, which I find very appealing. Any good pattern makers out there? xoxo














6 comments:

  1. These are so BEAUTIFUL! I am sure if you wanted to you could have a thriving Etsy shop with these!

    Just pinned the my fav - B&W one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! I know, I really could go places with these, I know there's demand. They are just so freaking hard to make. I need to collaborate with someone who knows a thing or two about bra construction. Thanks for pinning, dear!

      Delete
  2. These are amazing! I am endlessly impressed with your creations. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, TangledLou! You are so generous, and talented, too! I am so behind on your blog, will catch up soon! :)

      Delete
  3. The "hats" made me giggle. So beautiful and I love your vintage inspiration photo. I don't understand how they are supportive though but I trust ya! You would know best...form and function is what you need on stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed you could recognize those as hats! They are from my Easter act...little Easter bonnets! The tulle acts as any bra cup would, it's just see-through, so on stage you can't see the material. And each bra has a clear cord around the back holding it on, like the band of a bra, but you can't really see it (except when it presses into my back a little). Form and function indeed!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...