2.27.2012

into the muir woods



David being out of town this weekend, Stella and Oliver and I went for a cold and beautiful hike in Muir Woods on Sunday. It was early in the day, and a little colder than expected. But now that I realize how close this is to San Francisco, this is something I could see myself out doing and home again before the rest of the house wakes up on the weekends. 

You can take the girl out of New Hampshire, but you can't take the New Hampshire out of the girl. The trees here in Muir Woods mainly consist of giant redwoods and small, blighted oaks, but the feeling of forest is transcendent. And obviously, there is nothing more fun to kids than the idea of climbing a tree. Stella and Oliver are such city kids, but they will climb anything with bark on it.











4 comments:

  1. Ah this is on my list of things to do this year!

    It looks like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fantastic, Stacie! I've been several times, but this is the first time I got myself there, and walked it without another adult, and there was something very special about that.

      Delete
  2. Boy am I behind - I have missed lots of great stuff here!

    Now that is a great / safe tree for a little guy to climb!

    Love the long shadows and what is that thing around the redwood looking up?

    I so want to see the giants!!!

    You are such a busy lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann!

      That "thing" is a "burl", which is a cluster of cells that have the potential to grow new trees. We saw that one really big one, and then Oliver NEEDED TO SEE MORE BURLS! And then we were the loudest family in the forest. You know how it goes!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...