2.06.2012

bar crudo again


crudo:
a raw fish dish dressed with olive oil, sea salt, and citrus juice, and sometimes vinegar.

My mom and aunt still being in town, David and I got out Saturday night to Bar Crudo. It's a two and a half block walk from home, and it is our favorite (well, there's NOPA, too, but NOPA had a two hour wait by the time we got there). We eat at Bar Crudo whenever we can. From the food to the wine to the service (like NOPA) it never disappoints. 


Ono w/ grapefruit, jalepeño relish, micro cilantro, black lava salt (L); arctic char (this is incredible) w/horseradish crème fraiche, wasabi tobiko, dill (R).
Seriously. Eat as much of the arctic char as you can.

Northwestern oysters up next.

This is an ever-evolving menu. Our jaws dropped when we saw bone marrow on the menu. We ended up eating two orders of the delicious stuff. David grew up eating marrow, and the first time I tried it, years ago, I was sold. So delicious.






The gigantic beer list.


 Prawns. Look what's lurking in the background. Liquid crack!

 This clam chowder is THE BEST CHOWDER and possibly THE BEST FOOD I've ever tasted. You won't understand until you try it. I grew up in New Hampshire. I know all things clam chowder. But this, this is it.

We were such amazing guests, apparently, that our wonderful server comped our dessert. A tray of chocolates and two glasses of Moscato. We did a good job on it.



I would've loved to show you my new Stop Staring dress I wore on our date from another angle, but I am just not photographing well right now. Must be something about not sleeping well or getting old, or what I really think is happening, the iPhone takes terrible photos of people! We took several photos at dinner of ourselves, and I couldn't use any of them. Here's the back, the front is even more adorable. 


What a meal! If you live in San Francisco and enjoy raw fish and great cooking, you've got to get out to Bar Crudo. It's still secret enough that you can get in on a Saturday night with a minimal wait and no reservation. It's incredible.


We are so happy to have my mother here, and the babysitting is an extra bonus. Here's what was waiting for me when we got home, of course:






12 comments:

  1. It looks like a delicious night! And your dress,you look amazing in it,is it vintage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gulcin! The dress is by Stop Staring, an American company that does vintage inspired dresses. I love them!

      Delete
  2. This place is great, it was for sure the best meal I had on my trip to S.F. that was not prepared by Tiffanie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too much, Michael.Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. My mother and aunt and Oliver and I just ate at the Japanese Tea Garden again on Saturday and I thought of you!

      Delete
  3. Great post - you are amazing! Great alternative to sushi! I really miss living near Boston (where there are amazing restaurants too! Great dress! Funny - when I was a kid, us kids used to fight over the marrow and I haven't ever cooked anything with marrow for my own family - interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we would need to own a table saw in order to make marrow at home, no?

      At least you've got the GREAT seafood going on there in Cape Cod!

      Delete
  4. What kind of bones for the marrow? I assume beef but I base that on size alone. This marrow idea intrigues me, I've never had it. Hmmm...

    And I LOVE the fact your little boy is rocking a Taliesin shirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shirt is so awesome, isn't it? Totally don't care that it's pink. It's so rad.

      Beef is my guess. I can totally see you figuring out how to get marrow to the table, Richard! It's like a subtle fat/salt/beef flavor with a wonderful texture. David used to eat it in tacos, I prefer a crisp piece of toast or bread. Might just look into how to make it myself!

      Delete
  5. The clam chowder looks so good, I'm jealous, a total seafood and soup girl. Love the dress too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania, don't be jealous, you've got the best fish ever right outside your door. :) Although that chowder.....that chowder is only found one place in the world, I am certain!

      Delete
  6. Oh....yum yum yum yum yum! The bone marrow is especially intriguing, because it's one of the few foods I haven't eaten like that.... and the little squid. Did I say yum? What a delicious description. And the dress is sexy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Reticula! I'm now on a mission to try to make some here. Thanks about the dress, it's pretty cute!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...