6.28.2013

round up: this june



We have made good use of June. It's been lovely, if not as laid back as I had hoped. Things bunched up on me again and I'm trying to act like my plate isn't full around the kids but it's really full of fun and good opportunities and I'm all scrunched up in the chest about it. I'm totally out of touch with the feeling of hanging out with them first thing in the morning. Mostly because I've discovered daily bathing again for the first time in almost eight years! But also because I'm busy. I took a few months off from most of my extracurriculars recently. It was great, so I'm gunning for that to be norm again after I get this one super cool flower project I'm working on off my plate. The kids and I have been doing tons of things together, but I long to recapture this, or this. I've been breaking off an hour here and there for intense play with each of them, but I want to be fully present again. SOON!

This is the "SUMMERTIME DONE LIST", as opposed to our usual "summertime fun list". It's working for us.


Breakfast and dessert.


A little light reading in the vacation/life planning department.


A big paper rose sample for a prospective client.*


Oliver could not be sweeter right now. I am receiving upwards of 300 kisses a day.


I set up a potion-mixing station with all of my extracts and waters and herbs for Stella and her friend Una. I had a headache all afternoon after they finished. The potions were potent!


Stella and I put a few hours in setting up this "boutique". I think we both love the setting up way more than the actual playing.


Oliver and his creepy, disgusting obsessions. Current loves include: beetles, vampires, ghost pirates, and "alubis animals", whatever those are!


This next photo is of an idea I designed for my desktop. Why can't desktops be interactive? I don't use Pinterest because it's hidden inside the internet. I want to see my inspiration and pin images of things all over my screen. Serious question: Do you know anyone who could help me develop a live, interactive inspiration/pinboard for desktops? And can we redesign these folder icons, Apple?


A trip to the California Academy of Sciences. Here they are at the Academy last summer, and here they are the summer before that. Surreal to me. Oliver is out of the stroller now. He walked the long, long walk home after walking through the Academy all day. Whining the whole way, of course, but still.


At the BEAUTIFUL San Francisco Botanical Garden in Golden Gate Park. What a gem. I haven't been up there in years, and I can't wait to go back again this summer. We had a wonderful day. Here are Oliver and Stella stalking the squirrel they named "Prick", which gave me a few laughs listening to them call for him.


We've spent this last week at a pool about 25 miles north of San Francisco. We drive up every morning for class and stay for the day afterwards. This is a great mental clearing break for me, and of course Oliver and Stella love it, and are doing so well. I can tell that Oliver (having never attended school before) is really ready to learn and proud of himself for participating. They both amaze me.



I hope your June was great. Have a wonderful, summery weekend! xoxo

*I didn't get the paper rose retail window display work I talked about here. I have no regrets. I asked for what I knew that huge job would require of me, adjusted my numbers, made samples, communicated ad nauseum, and in the end it got strange, to put it nicely, and I'm glad it didn't work out. It would've been too much work right now no matter what.





14 comments:

  1. wow! your June sounds absolutely lovely and amazing. All those little adventures with craftiness thrown in. Perfection. here's something to to for potions with Stella and Co. Use two scented extracts and fill the empty bottles with tinted water and add glitter. Works like a charm! Favorite scents that blend well are vanilla, spearmint, and orange extract or fresh lemon juice.

    Love the Ca Science Center! The Park looks glorious. Wish I had some kiddos to adventure with. Love your blog and thank you for sharing.

    ~jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the glitter and color idea! I can't believe I didn't think of color, at least. We will do that the next time.

      Thank you so much for commenting, Jessica. Have a great weeekend!

      Delete
  2. Oh! The doll boutique. Can Olive & I bring over our Blythe doll to visit & do some trying on??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's do this! I can't wait to meet a real live Blythe doll, and your little doll, too!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you're doing what I'm doing. Let's hang someday...come on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I didn't get in touch in time about the pool days, but I did see you're just 14 minutes past Novato. So easy. Will happen.

      Delete
  4. hermosas fotografias!!muchos besos para ti desde chile

    http://flashlovee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It feels as though I blinked and June was gone...Yours looks lovely--a nice balance of family, work, play, and work that is play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita! June is nice and long for us as CA schools get out at the end of May! I don't want summer to ever end. It's totally NOT balanced right now, I'm going crazy in my head with all I have to do, but I'm trying to not let the kids feel that. :)

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful June. The "potions station" really takes me back - I used to do that all the time when I was a little kid. Once, I was carrying a particularly spicy potion to my bedroom (bad idea!) and tripped and got it in my eye! I still remember my dad helping me wash my eyes out for about thirty minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole. That must've hurt a lot! I remember getting in a lot of trouble once at a friend's house after we mixed a bunch of raspberries we picked with baby powder and water. Experimenting is a big deal for the little ones!

      Delete
  7. Tiffanie,

    Catching up with your blog and reading this post belatedly. Just wanna say sorry about the paper flower window display gig falling through, but (speaking as one freelance creative to another) you were right to stick to your guns!

    Also, the doll boutique and the Alubis Animal Finder are both positively price.less! Love.

    xo S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sonya! Yes, that was nerve wracking trying to get what I deserved, but at the same time realizing that while hand craft is highly regarded here in small circles in the U.S., the same flowers or a fascimile could be made elsewhere for much less. It was interesting, and I am just lucky that at that moment I didn't "need" the money (although I sure could've used it). Thanks for commenting, friend! xoxo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...