10.30.2013

femme


Image courtesy of Patricia Sweetow Gallery.

The opening for artist Jamie Vasta's latest show, "Femme", is next Thursday, November 7th from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Patricia Sweetow Gallery in San Francisco. It is the night before my creativeLIVE class, but I really want to go. You might remember this piece I was so lucky to be able to pose for several months ago. Jamie works in glitter, and her pieces are stunning. 

The body of work Jamie has created for Femme is pretty large, with a great diversity among the burlesque and drag performers who modeled for her. David and I have decided to bring the kids to the opening. For a long time I have explained to Stella that what I do when I perform burlesque is to show people that all types and sizes of women are beautiful. I've always told her that the pasties were hair ornaments (hahahaha!), although she might've figured out differently by now. I am not afraid for her to see these glittery portraits. I think we will need to talk a little bit more about what it means to be that scantily clad onstage, but Stella also knows that I have ALWAYS tried to be clever and/or funny when I have performed in the past, so I think that's what she understands about burlesque at the core already. I know she will be mesmerized by the glitter, so maybe there's nothing else to worry about. We shall see!

I'm so excited to see it all in person. If you're in the area next week and feel like checking out the opening, let me know!





2 comments:

  1. But Stella will also see how beautiful and confident her mommy looks and that will make her feel proud. *I hope*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, Rinita! For now she definitely takes pride in me performing (as I am sure your little ones do). We'll see what happens when she's a little older! xo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...