12.21.2012

old winter songs





These songs remind me of the winter when I was eighteen, going on nineteen. Driving around barren, salty upstate New York roads with my friend Dan (or a clown car full of friends), avoiding going to studio to do our work. Driving my brother to a ski slope in New Hampshire, where I would spend the day in the lodge reading while he skied. These songs give me visceral chilly feelings. These are my quiet songs. This could very well be someone else's hot summer night mix, but this is dead of winter music to me.

Birthday The Sugarcubes
The Sweetest Thing U2 (this was a B-side back then)
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore The Smiths
Thorn of Crowns Echo and the Bunnymen
Uncertain Smile The The
Loving You Hating Me Soft Cell
Something to Believe In AFB
Let Me Go Heaven 17
Smalltown Boy Bronski Beat
Bordeaux The Durutti Column
Wuthering Heights Kate Bush
Bring on the Dancing Horses Echo and the Bunnymen

While I was making this mix I kept veering off into all of the other music we listened to around then. This was the same year "Like A Prayer" came on the radio every ten minutes (we kept track) and that I first set ears on a solo Peter Murphy. I think I'll do this again, there is so much more music to remember and it was fun.

Happy Winter! Stay warm. It is cold enough in San Francisco to make me feel like we're having a season, which is good, because I miss real winter like no one's business. The photo above is of my brother sledding in my grandmother's front yard. That's winter.

I'll be back Monday with one more Christmasy donut pan project, and then it's go time! xoxo





2 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! I bet it helped bring back memories from that time!

    Great picks! I still really love U2. I was going through a Beatles thing then too : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I've seen other people make great online mixes in the past, so I thought I'd give it a go. I was trying to recreate the actual mix cassette we used to listen to at that time, but I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...